Wednesday, 17 September 2014

The Ottoman Empire - Mehmet the Conqueror II

The Hunyadi Revolt
Carrdinal Cesarini
Hunyadi and Ladislaus were begged by the Byzantine emperor John VIII Palaiologus to stand firm against the Turks, encouraged by the knowledge that a Christian naval squadron commanded the Hellespont, penning Murad in Anatolia. Ladislaus announced that he would;
‘Hurl back the infidel sect of Mohammed overseas.’[i]
And the Papal Legate Cardinal Julian Cesarini, who was pushing for the restitution of the crusade, absolved Ladislaus from the perjury of a

‘Rash and sacrilegious oath to the enemies of Christ.’[ii]
The crusaders were without their Serbian allies as Branković was unwilling to overset the treaty that had given him back his domains. A troop from Wallachia, led by Vlad Dracul[iii], made up part of the difference in numbers.

Battle of Varna
Murad was able to avoid the squadrons controlling the Hellespont and in November 1444 he and his armies swept down on the Christians in Rumelia, who were outnumbered three to one, at Varna[iv]. The battle, on 10th November, was a victory for the Ottomans who;
‘After making prisoner all their fresh-faced youths, put all the older ones to the sword, so that these proud infidels suffered what they themselves had planned against the community of Mohammed.’[v]
Ladislaus died on the field and his head, preserved in honey, was cleaned and sent to Bursa and carried round the streets atop a lance. Hunyadi fled the field with Vlad Dracul, who kept him a prisoner for a time. Cardinal Julian Cesarini fled and was never seen again[vi].
Mehmet in Charge
Great Mosque at Magnesia
His first attempt at retirement having last three months; Murad now abdicated the throne in favour of Mehmet; telling the court;
‘I have given my all – my crown, my throne – to my son, whom you should recognise as sultan.’[vii]
Murad took over, as his personal domain, three districts of Anatolia around Magnesia. He had a palace built at Magnesia and there, amidst the company of mystics, poets, theologians and men of letters, he sought the life of a member of a religious fraternity.
Murad encouraged Turkish historical studies and the development of the Turkish language. He occasionally received foreign diplomats in his private apartments and also spent time hunting. Murad had two years of the contemplative life before he was called back to his duties by Halil.
The Venetians sought to take advantage of Mehmet’s inexperience and negotiated a peace treaty signed on 23rd February 1446 at Adrianople. Halil was concerned by Mehmet’s plans for an attack on Constantinople at a time when the Ottoman army was involved in operations on the Greek and Albanian frontiers. Halil, like Murad, was a promoter of peace and at war with the military commanders who surrounded the belligerent young sultan.
Murad’s Return
Halil had the support of the Janissaries and Murad who reluctantly returned to his duties as sultan in the spring of 1446 after a further Janissary revolt over pay. The Janissaries also objected to Mehmet’s decadent life style.
Mehmet was sent off as governor of Magnesia until the death of his father five years later. The introspective Mehmet spent his time brooding over his wrongs and frustrated ambitions. During the last years of his life Murad acted in a more friendly fashion to his son, who visited him a number of times in Adrianople.
Muradiye Complex in Bursa
Murad became attached to a slave girl called Gülbehar[viii] who gave Mehmet a son, Bayezid in January 1448. Hüma Hatun, who had acted as Valide Sultan during her son’s first reign, died in September 1449 and was buried in the garden of the Muradiye complex in Bursa. Her tomb was built by Mehmet;
‘For his deceased mother, queen among women – may the earth of her grave be fragrant.’[ix]
Murad considered Gülbehar unacceptable as a bride for his son and arranged a marriage with Sitt Hanum[x]; the daughter of the emir Ibrahim, a Turkoman prince and ruler of Dulkadir State, thus providing allies against the troublesome Karamanids in Anatolia. Mehmet was not consulted about the marriage and he was resentful of his father’s arrangements.
The wedding took place in September 1450 and was followed by celebrations that lasted three months. The union produced no children and the beautiful Sitt was left behind in Adrianople when Mehmet moved his capital to Constantinople.
In 1450 Gülbehar gave birth to Mehmet’s second son Mustafa, who was to be his favourite. In November Murad’s fifth wife Halima Hatun gave birth to a boy called Küçük Ahmet Ҫelebi, a potential rival to Mehmet.
The Return of Trouble

On 31st October 1448 the Byzantine Emperor John VIII died and his replacement was Constantine XI Palaiologos. Constantine divided the Despotate of the Morea between his two brothers, Thomas and Demetrios. Murad used the period of change to extend his domains in western Greece, capturing Arta, whilst also dealing with trouble in the Morea[xi] fomented by the new Despots.
Murad was then forced to deal with Skandebeg[xii], a former Turkish official, who became ruler of Kruje, Svetigrad and Modriĉ[xiii]. He joined with Hunyadi in another uprising in 1448. Murad defeated their joint armies at Kosovo, ending any chance of Serbian independence. Mehmet fought in the battle, commanding the right wing of his father’s army.
Skanderbeg's fortress
In mid 1450 Murad laid siege to Skanderbeg’s fortress at Kruje. Skanderbeg’s defence was so tenacious that Murad raised the siege in October, making Skanderbeg a hero throughout the Christian world. The Pope, King Alfonso of Aragon, Hunyadi and Duke Philip the Good of Burgundy all sent Skanderbeg messages of support, or ambassadors or assistance. Skanderbeg himself wrote that he had given Christians hope that they could defend themselves from;
‘The oppression and cruel hands of the Turks, our enemies and those of the Catholic faith.’[xiv]
Despite Skanderbeg’s opposition Bosnia became a vassal state of the Ottomans and the Hungarian military was crippled for the foreseeable future. Only Skanderbeg, from his fortress in Croatia was able to inflict any damage on the seemingly unstoppable Ottomans.
Transfer of Power
At the beginning of 1451 Murad ordered that work commence on several pavilions for his palace of Edirne Sarayi. He died of apoplexy on 13th February 1451 at Adrianople following a drinking bout, at the age of forty-seven. When the news reached him Mehmet immediately set out for the Ottoman capital.
Halil suppressed the news of Murad’s death to allow Mehmet time to make the journey. Mehmet was unpopular with both the Janissaries and the people of Adrianople. Mehmet’s departure from his governorship was so fast he had no time to muster his followers who only caught up with Mehmet at Gallipoli, where he camped for two nights.
Tower of Justice Adrianople
Halil seems to have been at odds with the Janissaries who had no respect for Mehmet, and Adrianople was tense when Mehmet rode into the city. Mehmet was confronted by crowds as he was greeted by Sabbaheddin and Halil.
‘They [the crowd} stopped and……….raised their voices in loud lamentations, shedding tears all the while. Then Mehmet and his subordinates, dismounted and followed suit by rending the air with wailing. The mournful cries heard that day… on both sides were a spectacle indeed.’[xv]
Mehmet confirmed the chief officers in their posts, despite his personal dislike of Halil[xvi].
Ișak Pasha, the idol of the army, was sent to escort Murad’s body to its tomb at Bursa. He was accompanied by Murad’s widow Halima, possibly a diversion while on 18th February 1451 Mehmet had his three month old half-brother Küçük Ahmet Ҫelebi garrotted[xvii]. The bereaved widow and mother was then married off to Ișak Pasha.
Ișak’s next task was to restore calm in the provinces where a number of vassals had revolted. Tempted by the possibilities of loot, the Janissaries were eager to take this task on[xviii]. The princelings in Anatolia were subdued and Ișak moved military headquarters from Ankara to Kütaya.
Murad and Halil had been proponents of peace, although Murad had spent much of his reign fighting to obtain the peace he desired. Now with his death the war party was in the ascendant.
The Grand Turk – John Freely, I.B. Tauris and Co Ltd, 2009

The Janissaries – Godfrey Goodwin, Saqi Books 1994
Lords of the Horizons – Jason Goodwin, Henry Holt & Co 1998

The Ottoman Empire – Halil Inalcik, Phoenix 1994
The Ottoman Empire – Lord Kinross, Folio Society 2003

Byzantium, The Decline and Fall – John Julius Norwich, Folio Society 1995
The Ottoman Empire – Andrina Stiles, Hodder & Stoughton 1989


[i] The Ottoman Empire - Kinross
[ii] Ibid
[iii] A Voivode of Wallachia
[iv] On the Bulgarian Black Sea coast
[v] The Grand Turk - Freely
[vi] It is assumed that he died during the battle, although the church would not believe that he was dead and there were a number of rumours of sightings of the cardinal.
[vii] The Grand Turk - Freely
[viii] Possibly of Albanian or Greek Christian origin
[ix] The Grand Turk - Freely
[x] Her aunt Emine Hatun, was married to Mehmed I
[xi] Now known as the Peloponnese
[xii] Originally Georg Castriota, and then Iskander Beg, he became known as Skanderbeg after he deserted from the Turkish ranks at the Battle of Nis. In 1444 he set up the League of Lezhȅ, an alliance of Albanian principalities, to defend Albania against further encroachment by the Ottomans
[xiii] In Croatia
[xiv] The Grand Turk - Freely
[xv] Ibid
[xvi] He had decided to leave confronting Halil until after he had taken Constantinople, a task he had been set upon for years
[xvii] This is the first instance of what became the norm, with the new Ottoman emperor authorising fratricide as a means of avoiding rebellion within the family, normally the garrotte traditionally used was a bowstring
[xviii] The Ottoman emperors ended up caught in a vice of their own devising whereby the Janissaries could only be kept under control by a series of expansionist wars. Without war as a diversion they tended to mutiny

No comments:

Post a Comment